The most prominent building in the city of Dresden is the Frauenkirche.
These include the Zwinger Royal Palace, the Japanese Palace, the Taschenbergpalais, the Pillnitz Castle and the two landmark churches: the Catholic Hofkirche and the Lutheran Frauenkirche.
In addition significant art collections and museums were founded.
Dresden was a centre of European modern art until 1933.
It had a capacity of up to 20,000 military personnel at the beginning of the First World War.
After the war restoration work has helped to reconstruct parts of the historic inner city, including the Katholische Hofkirche, the Zwinger and the famous Semper Oper.
Since German reunification in 1990 Dresden is again a cultural, educational and political centre of Germany and Europe.Friedrich Schiller wrote his Ode to Joy (the literary base of the European anthem) for the Dresden Masonic lodge in 1785.The city of Dresden had a distinctive silhouette, captured in famous paintings by Bernardo Bellotto and by Norwegian painter Johan Christian Dahl.Its name etymologically derives from Old Sorbian Drežďany, meaning people of the forest. After 1270, Dresden became the capital of the margraviate.It was given to Friedrich Clem after death of Henry the Illustrious in 1288.The Dresden University of Technology is one of the 10 largest universities in Germany and part of the German Universities Excellence Initiative.